On Friday May 8th, join the Martha’s Vineyard Film Festival for opening night film of the 20th annual MVFF, SPACESHIP EARTH, from your living room! Keep seniors connected, even from home, via the innovative programming of the Martha’s Vineyard Center for Living who are reaching out by phone, Zoom activities, and through supply delivery. The Martha’s Vineyard Agricultural Society is drawing on their strengths, as a community hub, and have refocused their efforts in support of local farmers and food distribution organizations: hosting the Farmer’s Market on their spacious grounds, publicizing local food products, and supporting other Island organizations who need adequate space to continue their activities.
Martha’s Vineyard Film Festival
The Martha’s Vineyard Film Festival is in their seventh week of A Movie a Day, their at-home educational offerings for kids and their families. Each film is accompanied with a creative prompt, worksheet, gross-motor activity, or craft! You can find all past lesson plans and films at tmvff.org/movieaday.
Starting Friday, May 8th, they will be bringing the opening night film of the 20th annual MVFF, SPACESHIP EARTH, to your living room! In 1991, eight people were sealed into Biosphere2, an airtight terrarium in the Arizona desert. Their mission: to maintain an isolated, sustainable environment for two years. This timely documentary will be available for rent for $3.99, and the MVFF will receive half the proceeds. There will also be opportunity to join a discussion with the film director and scientists later in the week. More info at tmvff.org/spaceshipearth
Martha’s Vineyard Center for Living : Care / Support / Resources
The Center at 29 Breakdown Lane is shuttered for now; we can’t be together with our clients, families and caregivers to touch hands, sing, play Bingo, share a meal, discuss Island history, reminisce about friends, neighbors and island characters we have known and loved. But we are still connecting through phone calls, delivering supplies and being a support in any way we can.
Best of all, we have become ZOOMERS! Who said anyone over 60, over 80 for that matter can’t use technology! We are still learning, connecting and caring for one another. Offering Zoom Programs on Tuesdays and Thursdays and a Zoom Caregiver Support Group every Friday.
Martha’s Vineyard Agricultural Society
In these times, when so many things we’ve come to count on are now uncertain, it is important we come together, and each do our part. As farmers, we know all too well how delicate our food supply chains are. Agricultural Societies were formed for this very reason. We intend to draw on our strengths and refocus our efforts in support of local farmers and food distribution organizations. Our recent successes include:
- When new social distancing regulations put the Farmers Market in real jeopardy this season, we were able to open our expansive grounds and create a safe space for the market to continue.
- When demand for food became so great, that Serving Hands was asked to find an alternate distribution location, we opened our roadways, ensuring people continue to have access to the food they so desperately need.
- With the wholesale markets off-line our shellfish farmers were left with nowhere to sell their products. We just created an outlet for them to sell direct to consumers. Stay tuned for details!!
The Martha’s Vineyard Agricultural Society has never been prouder of our Island community. When times are tough, we come together. We are honored to do our part and to be a part of the solution. For more information about us please visit www.marthasvineyardagriculturalsociety.org or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay entertained while social distancing
- MV Film Festival has curated a list of films that are available to stream online (some free, some via streaming services)
- MV Film Society has a virtual film center
- Celebrate the 50th Earth Day by doing a beach clean-up and enter to win a prize from Vineyard Conservation Society
- Missing the MV music scene? Tune into Saturday Night Live at the Ritz (via Zoom)
- Perform at a local Open Mic Night (via Zoom), or tune in to see local musicians
- Check out the online exhibitions at the MV Museum and Featherstone Center for the Arts
- Don’t forget to fill out the 2020 Census questionnaire!
Stay active while at home
- Take a hike and enjoy nature! Explore a new trail via the TrailsMV app made by Sheriff’s Meadow Foundation
- Take an online fitness class from local fitness centers